Welcome to my long overdue list of books that I read between May and August 2017. Let me know if you have read any of these.
Until next time,
- Rose Blood, by A. G. Howard – I DNFed this one. It was supposed to be a re-telling of the Phantom of the Opera, however its cheesiness and naïveté rendered it dull and childish, especially after reading Rothfuss! (The Wise Man’s Fear)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J. K. Rowling – no words needed. I just loved it yet again, for the hundredth time.
- A Court of Wings and Ruin, by Sarah J. Maas – I was a bit disappointed by the conclusion of this trilogy. It felt rushed, not well fleshed out, and somehow I was not as emotionally invested as I was with the second installment. I still gave it 3/5 stars because overall I enjoyed reading it.
- A Darker Shade of Magic, by V. E. Schwab – I really enjoyed this one. I still have to read the second one – it is on my shelf here at Uni. Nonetheless, the idea behind it and the magic system are fascinating! 4/5 stars.
- Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell – I liked this one as well. I gave it 4 stars mainly out of nostalgia.
- All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr – Another 4 stars read! Mainly because of the use of words – beautifully mastered! The language is highly evocative, especially considering that one of the two protagonists is blind.
- The Alloy of Law, by Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn #4) and Shadows of Self, by Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn #5)
– Both of these amazing. Very different from the first trilogy, however, the humor Sanderson put into these two books is delightful and just hilarious. I am looking forward to finishing the third book. I gave both of them 5 stars.
- The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas – Amazing read. Truly amazing. Especially after having lived in the US and, more specifically Chicago, every time someone asks me how my experience is and what I think of it, I recommend this book. 5
- Voyager, by Diana Gabaldon – this one was mediocre, and I have decided to stop reading the books. I found certain parts to be very problematic, and overall I believe that this series already started declining with the second book. I gave this 3 stars because it is still relatively entertaining.